This is what we have:
As you can see we did dig out a corner and a small 'circular' patch, which didn't end up very circular & we put in a raised vegetable bed.
And although it doesn't seem much, it took a lot of effort. This for a few reasons:
-The layer of wood chippings, to do any digging work these needed to be moved (easier said than done).
-underneath the wood chippings is a later of black lining...
This combined with
-a lot of weeds, roots & old tree stumps
... Makes it very difficult to take up the lining to get to the ground underneath.
-then once you do get underneath all the layers, the actual ground underneath is of a clay consistency & is combined with a lot of bricks & rubble discarded by the builders when building the house.
So as you can see doing the 2 small planting areas we have now was a task in itself & the reason we went for the raised area to grow vegetables last year. Although this year I am not too bothered about growing veg as although it was good fun, not a lot of it got eaten for fear of bugs, slugs, etc.
I really don't know what to do with it, I would love to do an amazing but simple garden design something like this for example:
But that would involve way to much time, money & effort. If this was our house I would be willing to invest in doing it but the truth of the fact is living here we could in theory be asked to leave come September when our contract is up for renewal!
Perhaps we could get away with doing something like this, some raised beds in the middle but again I have no idea of the cost of something like this & it would be sad to spend all that money & then leave it behind:




No comments:
Post a Comment